Need a beginner-friendly guide on how to create and edit your event on Facebook? Learn the basics.
If you’re wondering “How do I create a Facebook event” but don’t want to let your friends know about your gaps in social media knowledge, we’re here to help.
Follow these simple guidelines and you’ll have your next event up on Facebook in no time!
Creating an event
This is how to create a Facebook event from your personal profile.
- Go to the newsfeed or home page.
- Select the Events tab from the sidebar (it’s the menu on the left side).
- Click the “create event” button (it’s below the sidebar with calendar, birthday and above the menu with upcoming events)
If you want to create an event for your Facebook business page, this is what you do:
- Go to your Facebook page or follow the same procedure and select your page form the host drop-down menu.
- Tap on the “more” tab found in the top menu and click “Events”
- Click on “Create New Event”
If you want to create a recurring event, you’ll have to do this with a Facebook page event. You’ll be able to select “recurring event” in the first step (when you add the event name). You can set the frequency to daily, weekly or custom.
Next up, you will be led through a series of steps that will help you customize your event. Remember that these fields are mandatory:
- Whether it’s an online event or in person.
- Event name.
- Privacy setting
You can set privacy by selecting one of the following options from the drop-down menu: public or private event, or an event for your Facebook friends or people in Facebook groups that you are in.
A private event can only be seen and attended by invitees. A public event is open to anyone on Facebook, while events for your Facebook friends or people in groups are limited to these groups of people. Note that creating an event for a Facebook group will get everyone from the group on the guest list (even if they are not your Facebook friends).
Next, you can add invitees to the guest list or select skip. You can select the options that guests can invite friends and add co hosts. If you want someone to be a co-host you need to have them as a Facebook friend.
Another great feature that you may not be aware of is the option to export your guest list as a spreadsheet. This can be very useful if you want to conduct analytics or send RSVP emails, in case you have their email addresses.
You can always invite guests from your Facebook groups or by selecting a guest list from past events you’ve hosted. If you invite everyone from a group page, you don’t need to have them in your friends on your personal Facebook profile.
Customizing your Facebook event page
Once created, you’ll be taken to the event page where you can customize and edit event settings.
You can upload an event photo or video for your Facebook event banner, but you can even use the free illustration templates that Facebook now offers.
You can add a new cover photo, change the event description, time, location or any other details by clicking the “Edit” button. If you want to make an announcement, you can also post updates that invitees can see on the event wall.
See some of ManyPixels’ best design works
Get the ManyPixels Design Library 2021
Your guide was succesfully sent
Please check your inbox to download our guide.
Creating an online Facebook event
Due to covid-19 restrictions, this year is bigger than ever for online events including seminars, lectures, as well as public events like concerts, gallery openings and even parties.
When you select the online event you can choose what type of event you’re hosting. These are the options:
- Facebook Live: Suitable for over 50 guests, they can watch your event’s live broadcast.
- Messenger Rooms: Create a more interactive experience in a video chat for up to 50 invitees, including hosts and co-hosts.
- External Link: Use if your event is off of Facebook and include anything guests may need to know in the event description.
- Other: Include event details on how people can take part
All the other settings are the same as creating an in-person event.
How to create a Facebook event from your smartphone
To do this you should have a Facebook app installed on your iPhone or Android. You can also create an event from Facebook by logging in from your browser, but it’s a lot less intuitive and some options are missing—for example, it seems you can’t select an online event when you first start creating it.
This is how to create a Facebook event from your mobile app:
- Select the menu icon found in the bottom right corner (found next to the notifications button)
- Go to Events
- Select the “Create” button found on the top
- Follow the same steps as in the desktop app
Need further Facebook tips?
We hope you found this short guide helpful and found all the information to create your event on Facebook. If you need further tips on navigating this social media platform, be sure to check out our articles on 20 Facebook Ads that Work as well as this brief guide on Facebook Event Banner Sizes.