You’re elated that your business is taking off because the long days have finally paid off. And now, it’s time to make things official with a logo. But, graphic design is not your area of expertise. So, you figure it’s best to leave it to a professional that’ll get the job done to your satisfaction.
However, as irony would have it, there’s a boatload of graphic designers, design styles, and portfolios that have flooded the creative industry. As a result, filtering through the noise to find the ideal fit for your business is no easy feat.
Furthermore, with an untrained eye in design, the differences and nuances will have you entangled in a web of confusion.
But fret not, because we’re here to help. This article explores some smart ways on how to choose the best graphic design services for your business that’ll take it to the next level. Read on!
Have Clarity on Your Expectations and Goals
This entails gathering and penning down all your thoughts on the graphic design services you need. Yes, it may seem pedantic. But it certainly pays off to so because the last thing you need is veering off your goal when you’re bombarded by design options to choose from.
These thoughts will come in handy when you need to refocus on what you need to achieve.
So, begin with logical questions like:
- What is your objective? Just one or two sentences detailing what you’re trying to accomplish will suffice.
- What’s your budget? You’ll inevitably stumble upon a barrage of designs that’ll take your breath away but exceed your budget. So, by being strict with your budget, you’ll avoid getting overly enamored.
- What’s your desired timeframe for the project? With this, you’ll be able to select graphic design servicesthat tally with your timeline.
- What is your target market like? Where do they live? How old are they? What do they enjoy doing for fun?
- What feelings do you want to evoke from your target market when they interact with your brand?
The answers to these questions serve as the roadmap to choosing the ideal graphic design services for your business. It’s particularly when you get overwhelmed with options, momentarily forgetting your initial goals. Doing so also keeps you user-focused. So, rather than serving you as an individual, they’re serving your business’ brand.
Now that you’re armed with a clear vision, it’s time to delve into the fun part, looking through portfolios. When evaluating portfolios, you’ll want to factor in relative and absolute elements. The latter encompasses the skill set, professionalism level, and expertise of the graphic design company to hire.
The former (relative) entails how well the designer’s style tallies with your business’ brand along with a certain Je-ne-sais-quois that captures the interest of your target market.
A portfolio constitutes the visual work and the story behind it, both of which have great importance.
The Visuals: When analyzing a portfolio’s overall look, you need to factor in the following: does it have one cohesive theme?
How unique is each design? With regards to your brand, here’s where you consider aspects such as colors, line, texture, shape, space, typography (font design).
As you take the plethora of portfolios into consideration, you’ll get better at being able to translate the visuals into words, in a jiffy. This boils down to 2 steps.
- Describing what you see in the first few words that come to mind without over-analyzing every portfolio that meets your eye.
- Make a comparison of this description with the detailed goals and expectations that you wrote down to see if they tally. For instance, assume you described your business’ brand as exuding professionalism, well-organized, and established in the given industry. So, you’ll want to focus solely on simple shapes, cool colors, and classic fonts. As a bonus, you can consider the canvas. In a nutshell, this is the online portfolio of your business. Consider:
- Does the structure make sense? Does it exude easy navigation?
- Did the graphic designer create an online portfolio from scratch? Did they use a template?
- These questions shed light when making your selection if you’re seeking versatility in the graphic design services for your business.
The story behind it: There’s more to a design portfolio than a set of images. It’s an array of solutions to certain design problems rolled into one. So, while the visuals lure us in, what’s more important, is the story behind the visuals. Consider:
- Does the designer have a user-centric approach for your business?
- Does the candidate carefully describe the goal of the graphic design project?
A great tactic in selecting ideal graphic design services for your business is to throw unexpected questions at candidates during the interview process. This opens your eyes to their creativity level and determines whether or not they’d be a great fit for your brand.
For instance, you can present a candidate with a competitor’s design piece and ask them to explain what they would do differently, given a chance. Ultimately, you want to hire a designer that can think creatively on the fly.
Assign a Short Trial Project
As an employer, you’re probably familiar with the employees that oversell themselves just to get hired. They look good on paper only to, later on, discover their incompetence. This is no different when choosing graphic design services for your business.
So, to avoid this predicament, assign potential candidates a short trial project that would take a few hours to complete. An example would be to design a simple logo. The paid project doesn’t have to be challenging to complete. It should only showcase every candidate’s creativity and the expertise they claim to have.
Ultimately, choosing the ideal graphic design services for your business stems beyond the skill set. It entails a designer’s work style and overall creativity that is equally as essential as their skills if not more important.
And, these are not aspects that you’ll find on a resume and can only be pinpointed practically. So, to make the ideal selection, it’s in your best interest to be more hands-on during the vetting process.